Back to School Night

Volunteer Orientation/PTO Meeting

Uncle Maddio’s Restaurant Night Tonight!

JOIN US TONIGHT!

Bring the family out tonight for the last restaurant night fundraiser of the year at Uncle Maddio’s Pizza from 4-8 pm. Two kids can eat for *FREE* with each adult meal, and our special guest chefs willmake everything extra delicious!  Please bring your flyer or show this image at checkout! A portion of sales will come back to the Woodbrook PTO! Hope to see you there!

Volunteers Needed for 5th Grade Graduation Reception

5th Grade Graduation Reception

Help us celebrate this year’s 5th grade graduates! We’re in need of volunteers to help set up and bring in items for the graduation reception on June 7th. Please click on this signup genius link to sign up: https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/5080c48afad2da7fd0-5thgrade

Volunteers Needed: Last Day of School Teacher Lunch

Last Day of School Teacher Lunch

It’s hard to believe that the last day of school is almost here! The PTO will be providing lunch to our teachers on Friday, June 7th to celebrate the end of another wonderful school year.  The lunch will be catered by Roots and the PTO will be providing drinks and desserts.  We only need a couple of parents to assist with setting up the lunch at 11:30 and cleaning up around 1pm.  Please sign up if you are free to help out!

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c084cafa62ba31-last

Save the Date! Uncle Maddios Family Dinner Night

SAVE THE DATE!

Please save the date and bring the family out for the last restaurant night of the year at Uncle Maddio’s Pizza on Wednesday, June 5, from 4-8 pm. A portion of sales will come back to the Woodbrook PTO! Hope to see you there!

PTO Survey

The PTO is looking for feedback on how to better engage the Woodbrook community in events, volunteerism and community building projects.  Please take a minute to complete the brief survey below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeunGhCIGVbOBaVrq-n9BXwZJF8ZFj0uXnvJgxpij5CEgrT8w/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1

El Jaripeo Restaurant Night

Join us TONIGHT at our restuarant night at El Jaripeo! We will receive credit for sales at the Forest Lakes location only (1750 Timberwood Blvd, Charlottesville, VA 22911) and you must mention “Woodbrook” when you check out. Hope to see you there!

May PTO Meeting Minutes

Woodbrook PTO Meeting Minutes May 7thth, 2019

 

In attendance:

Jen Smith

Dana Griffin

Jennifer Underwood

Jaime Dion

Maureen Boisvert

Hannah Barnaby

Mary McIntyre

Amy Barbour

Malva Mangan

Zarina Burdge

Elizabeth Killian

Kim McQuown

Missy Bishop

Kate Scales

 

Treasurer’s Report (Maureen Boisvert):

We received $216 in cash for the plant sales. Not sure yet how much of that will be profit.

Two most underspent items are the teacher grants (we did not get any requests for reimbursement) and new student outreach. We didn’t pay for any assemblies and didn’t have Maker expenses that we had planned for. Question about buses for clubs next year- we will need two drivers and there is a teacher considering getting their CDL training this summer. Maureen moves to move $1000 from New Teacher Grants over to Teacher Appreciation. The motion passes. Jen Smith moves that we carry forward the $3000 for student outreach into next year’s budget. The motion passes.

 

Fundraising (Kate Scales and Hannah Barnaby):

It did well, they think $3000 is what the budget should be in the future for the Silent Auction. Kate is still collecting money from winners- hasn’t heard from two of them.  The plant sale went well, we didn’t budget for it, and it will gross over $100 so it was considered a success. Hannah showed us a long sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt. Trying to coordinate a teacher shirt sale by June 3rd, with a main sale to everyone in the Fall. Hannah will look into pricing, and a more yellow (less neon) yellow for color. Suggested price of $18 long sleeve and $25 sweatshirt. They now have the anatomically correct paw.  We have two more restaurant nights coming up as well.

 

Communications: (Malva Mangan)

Parent survey is done and translated. It’s a Survey Monkey with only 3 questions. We should think about a year end newsletter.

 

Missy is reviewing data from restaurant night surveys – we received back about 30 responses.

 

 

Parent Council Report: (Jen Smith):

Kim could not go, so Jen went. Western Albemarle is also tearing down walls similar to what WES did. They want to have a google doc of things that each PTO is willing to share (carnival games, etc). There was some openness about schools wanting to share community events. Advocacy for some school board issues. To reduce student stress, they are looking at eliminating weighted grades, starting in this year’s 6th grade class. They are looking to more strongly enforce the homework policy- and to limit the academic HS course load to 7 classes- it is currently 8. They want to limit the number of AP classes. Dr. Haas talked about shifting the paradigm for high school- they want to get them all on the same bell schedule, and coordinate transportation between schools. Budget increases pay and benefits for Caf staff, bus drivers, and afterschool care providers.

 

Special Education Advisory Committee (Malva Mangan)

SEAC meeting is next week. There will be an information meeting about parents advocating for their children.

 

Feedback on Past PTO Events

JUMP- fundraiser. Feedback- they did not have enough staff there at first, but then it got better. We ended up making about $5 person.

 

Silent Auction- big takeaway is that we should budget for $3000. Amy needs reimbursement for 32auction online payment ($30)

 

Movie Night- There were some audio issues. It was a decent turnout. Some people expected pizza and were disappointed there was not any. Next time we will make sure it is known ahead of time.

 

Teacher appreciation week was very appreciated.

 

Upcoming/Ongoing Needs:

Loaves & Fishes (https://cvilleloavesandfishes.volunteerhub.com/lp/woodbrook/) Thursdays, 1-2pm

Library needs books re-shelved. (Hannah suggests having the 5th graders do it; in future could also be a service project for different groups such as girl scouts.)

SOL hall monitors are needed: (https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a49a4ad2aa13-solhall1)

Yearbook preorders are due on May 18th. Mr. Reinhard will need some help to sell them in the mornings once they come in.

Talent show on May 30th. Heather Santiago is the main PTO contact.

Field Day- May 31st, we will provide snow cones. We will need more syrup- Maureen will get it on Amazon and have it sent here. If you can volunteer, please do.

The last school-wide morning meeting is on June 6th.

5th grade graduation is on the 7th. The reception afterwards is typically hosted by the 4th grade parents.

Last day of school (6/7) dismissal is at 11:30am.

 

Restaurant night coming up- El Jaripeo in Forest Lakes in on May 16th from 4-9pm

Uncle Maddio’s pizza- 2 kids eat free with each paying adult on 6/5 (from 4-8pm). The Principals will be making the pizzas.

 

Jen will start a google doc for next year so that we can enter in dates to avoid for next year (like Chance to Dance is always the first weekend in May)  (https://tinyurl.com/yyh6fy9x)

 

JJMS’s color run is now going to be the last day of school during their field day. Option for participation for families with elementary age kids – there will be a run at 12pm.  Families can participate in fun run, obstacle course, prize wheel and food.  However, they will not be able to participate in other field day events and strict parent supervision of younger children is expected.

 

Elections:

Missy Bishop and Kim McQuown were elected co-Presidents

 

Kate Scales was elected Secretary

 

Dana Griffin and Malva Mangan were elected co-VPs of Communication

 

Amy Barbour and Elizabeth Killian were elected Members at large

 

Unfilled positions at this time include Treasurer and VP of Ways and Means.  Active recruitment for these posts continues.

 

A transitional board meeting will be scheduled for some time in June.

 

Principals’ Report

 

Jen Underwood fielded questions about staffing and class organization for next year.

 

Many at the meeting were frustrated by the lack of transparency from downtown and strongly wish to move forward with the administrative hiring for next year.  Stress and anxiety with the current unknowns is high among families and staff, counter-productive to recruiting and maintaining top talent and inhibits pro-active planning for next year.  One suggestion was to contact the Assistant Superintendent for Organizational Development and Human Resource, Claire Keiser for additional information, pose questions, express concerns and/or advocate for a more transparent and pro-active hiring process.  If anyone wishes to do so, her email is [email protected] and phone number is (434) 296-5820

 

In terms of placement options for children next year, the school is currently in the teacher recommendation phase.  Additional feedback from a variety of staff will take place shortly and parental input will be sought hopefully by the end of May.

 

Anticipated options include traditional single grade, single teacher classrooms at each level K-5.  They anticipate some team-teaching in single grades and well as a variety of multi-age options for K-1, 1-2, 2-3 and 4-5.  There will be traditional classrooms, larger classrooms and the open space pods.  They expect more single grade Kindergarten and 3rd grade classes based on #s and feedback from this year.  They anticipate restructuring where the classes are situated in the 4th grade pod are have ordered additional sound buffering for that space.

Yearbook Pre-Order On Sale Now!

Older posts «

» Newer posts